How to Play
An Introduction to Drawphone
You don't really need to know how to play your first time; just gather four or more (there's no player limit!) friends with smartphones, sit in a circle (or a virtual circle!), and play the game! The game will tell you exactly what to do as you go.
Drawphone is a party game in which players will create drawings, and guess what other players drew. It can be played for free with any web browser (smartphones and tablets included); no app download required.
It works like the telephone game, in which "one person whispers a message to another, which is passed through a line of people until the last player announces the message to the entire group." -Wikipedia
How it works
With Drawphone, the app will do most of the work for you, so you don't have to know how to play before getting started. I would actually recommened playing blind your first time! But if you are curious, here's a rundown:
- Start a new game, and give the code to your friends to join.
- When everyone has joined in, the host may start the game.
- Each player will be given a random word, and should draw it in the box on their screen.
- Once everyone has submitted their drawing, the game will move on.
- The drawings will be digitally "passed" by Drawphone to another player at random, and it will appear on their screen.
- Each player must now guess what this new drawing is.
- Once everyone has made their guesses, they are passed around like before.
- This continues to alternate until each "chain" of words and drawings has been passed to every player.
- Once complete, Drawphone will show you the results of your original drawing. You will also be able to view everyone else's results.
- The best part of Drawphone is showing your results to everyone! So, have one person hold up their phone where everyone can see it, and have them read their results to everyone.
- After the first person finishes, go around in a circle and have everyone share their results. Warning: laughter may ensue!
- Once everyone has shared their results out loud, you can start another round once everyone taps the Done button at the bottom of the results page.
Remember that you don't need to memorize these instructions to play Drawphone.The app will do everything but draw and guess for you, so it's very easy to jump in and play, even having never played before.
- You must have at least four player to play Drawphone.
- There is no winning or losing. The whole point of the game is just to laugh and have fun!
- Remember that once you start the next round, the drawings and guesses are gone forever! So if you get a funny one, don't forget to screenshot it.
- Don't worry if someone disconnects in the middle of the game. Just have someone (doesn't have to be the same person) join with the same game code. They will be able to replace the disconnected player, and the game will continue.
Behind the scenes
Drawphone was programmed by myself, Tanner Krewson, with Node.js. Drawphone is 100% free and open-source, and is available on GitHub for your tinkering. If you run into any issues, or have any features you would like to see in Drawphone, feel free to open an issue on the GitHub repo. Hope you like it! <3